Now Reading
Violent Protests Injure More Than 30 Police After Shooting in Philly

Violent Protests Injure More Than 30 Police After Shooting in Philly

by Ryan MasonOctober 27, 2020

Massive protests erupted in Philadelphia overnight after what appears to be the justified shooting of a suspect after he ran at officers with a knife as officers responded to a domestic disturbance call yesterday afternoon in the 6100 block of Locust Street in the Cobb Creek neighborhood.

Angry residents crowded around the fallen suspect, later identified as 27-year-old Walter Wallace as soon as he fell to the ground. Witnesses screaming at officers and complicating any attempt by officers to check the condition of Wallace.

Crowds began to grow in the area almost immediately, filling much of Locust street by nightfall, spilling into other surrounding areas as many more units arrived from the Philadelphia Police Department.


At least 30 officers were injured in multiple violent incidents around the area as protestors hurled rocks and other objects at police that had gathered in riot gear to quell the violence.

A 56 year old sergeant was struck by a speeding pickup truck at the corner of at 52nd and Walnut streets early this morning, she suffered a broken leg in the incident and is still hospitalized for her injuries.

As is all too common in these circumstances, the protests then devolved into looting in the area, with several Rite-Aid drug store windows smashed as looters made off with supplies from multiple beauty stores, pharmacies, and continued to break windows of dozens of businesses in the area.

The looting and vandalism continued for several hours as police struggled to gain the upper hand, resulting in damage to several police cars in the area, including several being set on fire.

The police eventually managed to gain control in the commercial area of 52nd st, one of the hardest-hit areas of looting when officers began a charge down the street towards protestors instead of backing away. Over 30 arrests have now been made of protestors who were seen throwing rocks and bricks at officers in addition to those caught looting stores.

Shortly after police moved from the area of 52nd street, however, looters soon returned to the area, as captured by a video posted to twitter showing multiple looters removing items from a footlocker store.



About The Author
Ryan Mason
Ryan Mason
Ryan Mason is a former police officer and the Editor in Chief of the Law Enforcement News Network. Ryan has been a writer, editor, and photojournalist over the last decade, providing content for over a dozen national and international publications in both law enforcement and aviation.
0 0 vote
Article Rating
Notify of
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

[…] Protests began in small numbers almost immediately following the shooting of a man refusing to put down a knife and advancing on officers after being called to the scene of a domestic disturbance in the 6100 block of Locust street where the shooting occurred. […]


[…] Philadelphia was burned Tuesday night as unrest continued in Philadelphia following the shooting of 27-year-old Walter Wallace by police after he lunged at officers responding to a domestic disturbanc… […]