Now Reading
Portland Police Association Building Attacked Again Overnight

Portland Police Association Building Attacked Again Overnight

by Ryan MasonOctober 20, 2020

Rioters have again targeted the Portland Police Association building, setting fire to a pro police billboard attached to the building and covering the building with graffiti in another night of rioting in the Portland area.

The Portland Police Bureau released a statement about the incident at 1 am this morning.

On October 19, 2020, at approximately 8:00 p.m., a small group began to gather at Arbor Lodge Park in North Portland. Some people who gathered brought shields and masks with them. By 9:50 p.m., the crowd had grown to approximately 100 people and at 10:08 p.m. about 75 members of the group began to march.

The group marched east towards the Portland Police Association (PPA) Office with support vehicles following and blocking traffic.

The sound truck gave three announcements when the group arrived that said, “This is the Portland Police Bureau (PPB). The streets in the area around the PPA are open to vehicular traffic. Please remain on the sidewalk and be courteous to your neighbors. Do not vandalize buildings.” The group immediately began spray painting the PPA office.

Some individuals stood on the sidewalks while others blocked North Lombard. The group used A-frame traffic signs to also block North Lombard. Some in the crowd climbed onto business roofs in the area.

At 11:15 someone started a fire on a billboard next to the PPA office. The fire burned the attached advertisement as the rest of the structure appeared to remain unaffected by the fire. The fire appeared to extinguish itself.

The sound truck then gave a new announcement that said, “This is the PPB. Stay off buildings, do not light fires, and remain on the sidewalk. If you engage in criminal activity you could be arrested and subject to use of force to include crowd control agents, impact weapons, and/or tear gas.”

By 12:15 a.m. on October 20, 2020, the crowd began to dissipate on their own. With the exception of the sound truck, PPB did not interact with the crowd during this event. The incident commander requested Portland Fire and Rescue to check the billboard that was set on fire and roof of the PPA office. No arrests were made.

This incident comes on the heels of more protest activity in Portland as protesters took to the streets outside the Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) building yesterday. Federal law enforcement responded to the protest activities with gas and pepper balls, initially dispersing the group of over 100 protestors, who eventually returned, trying to tie silver balloons with protest messages on them to the fencing surrounding the building.

About The Author
Ryan Mason
Ryan Mason
Ryan Mason is a former police officer and the Editor in Chief of the Law Enforcement News Network. Ryan has been a writer, editor, and photojournalist over the last decade, providing content for over a dozen national and international publications in both law enforcement and aviation.
0 0 vote
Article Rating
Notify of
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments